Running Small Businesses and Beginning To Know What You Don’t Know, With Tim Fulton.
Episode 18: Show Notes.
Our guest today is Tim Fulton, my Vistage coach. Tim is the Vistage Chair to some of the most successful CEOs in Atlanta. It’s why in 2013 he launched the Small Business Matters Conference, which has become an all-star, exclusive gathering that attracts some of the best small business owners in the state. And it’s why he’s a tireless advocate for small businesses, every single day. Small Business Matters is owned and operated in Atlanta, Georgia by Tim Fulton. Tim is a nationally-recognized small business coach, consultant, and advocate. He has been involved in the field of entrepreneurship for over three decades as a successful business owner, small business counselor, and adjunct university professor. Vistage is an international membership organization for company CEO’s and Presidents that provides a very unique growth experience for its members. In addition, Tim is a facilitator for the University of Georgia SBDC’s GrowSmart training program, which is designed for growth-oriented small business owners, operators, and executives.
Each year, he celebrates small business with the Small Business Matters Conference, gathering his tribe and beyond to dedicate a day to the development and success of the businesses that drive the U.S. economy. Small business stimulates international trade, helps the young get started, and encourages innovation. In today’s episode Tim is sharing on what Vistage is but the short of it is that in business we’re really good at what we do but we don’t know what we don’t know about business and it was with that that I went looking for somebody like Tim. He’s also talking to us about GrowSMART. Give it a listen! [0:04:50.0]
Key Points From This Episode:
- Tim tells us what it means to be a small business coach. [0:05:46.0]
- Understand what GrowSMART and Vistage is and does. [0:06:30.0]
- Myths that surround small business and ownership. [0:08:08.0]
- Find out whether running a business ever gets easier. [0:11:54.0]
- The importance of keeping score and what to be keeping score on. [0:15:54.0]
- Identifying certain key performance indicators within the business. [0:16:38.0]
- Establishing the vision of the business through the owner and the employees. [0:18:38.0]
- The importance of having a business plan. [0:21:52.0]
- Advice for multi-generational/ family businesses. [0:25:30.0]
- Discover what an exit plan is and why it’s essential. [0:29:20.0]
- Thinking of your business as a game and sharing financials with your employees. [0:33:05.0]
- The signs of beginning to know what you don’t know. [0:37:35.0]
- Hear what were the last three books Tim read. [0:39:07.0]
- Top three business book to read, according Tim [0:42:50.0]
- Find out more about Tim’s books, Small Business Matters and Small Business Matters and All That Jazz. [0:44:43.0]
- The benefits of doing stand-up comedy and improv in the sales community. [0:50:30.0]
- Why Tim would want to talk to Ben Franklin. [0:51:20.0]
- Why to always to listen and act on that voice in the back of your head. [0:53:35.0]
- And much more!
“In business we’re really good water treaters but we don’t know what we don’t know about business.” — Trace Blackmore [0:01:57.0]
“I am constantly learning from my clients and my members.” —@TF_SBM [0:06:24.0]
“The growth paradox is the assumption that as a company grows it’s going to get easier.” — @TF_SBM [0:12:20.0]
“Think of your business as a game and any good game, we’re going to keep score.” —@TF_SBM [0:16:16.0]
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
ScalingUp! Podcast – http://scalinguph2o.com/
AWT Young Professionals & SEED Group – https://www.facebook.com/groups/1377068122547724/
AWT — https://www.awt.org/
AWT Convention — https://www.awt.org/annualconvention17/
AWT Webinars — http://www.awt.org/education_events/webinars.cfm
IWC Conferences — http://www.iwcconferences.com/
Tim Fulton — http://smallbusinessmattersonline.com/
Tim on LinkedIn — https://www.linkedin.com/in/timcfulton/
Tim on Twitter — https://twitter.com/tf_sbm
Seth Godin — http://www.sethgodin.com/sg/
Books to Read:
Get the Top 5 CWT Tips!
Working with those endeavoring to achieve this designation, I have learned a few things that they all did thereby helping them to succeed. This document is a list of those items that will help you get your CWT!