116 Pinks and Blues: System Volume
Episode 116: Show Notes
I am so grateful for the members of the Scaling UP! Nation! I have the best audience in all of podcasting. To get great content every week every episode, I beg the Nation! to help me by asking questions they would like for me to answer. The Nation! has responded to that call once again!
Today, a friend of the show, Eric Russo, of episode 111, asks about the rules of thumb when it comes to determining volume in a closed-loop system. If you have ever heard me speak on this topic, you know I don’t trust rules of thumb. But I do accept math.
WARNING: This episode contains MATH. Today’s episode is about how I use math to determine how much volume is in a closed-loop system.
Below are the calculations I talk about on the show.
Estimating System Volume:
Πr2 x 7.48 x pipe’
- Π = 3.14
- R = half the pipe diameter and then square that number (must be in feet)
- Pipe = 7.48 the conversion to get feet of pipe into gallons
Titration Drop Manipulation:
SDC / (NV / OV) = NDC
- SDC= Standard or Original drop count in ppm
- NDC = New drop count in ppm
- NV = New volume
- OV = Original volume
(120,000 x NaNO2) / Δ x (conversion) = Gallons in the system
- NaNO2 = the lbs. Of sodium nitrite added to the system
- Δ = the change in NaNO2 in the system from your addition
- Conversion = if you are using a nitrite test (not a sodium nitrite test), you will need to account for the fact you added sodium nitrite and only tested for nitrite. The conversion will be 1.5
- 120,000 the conversion/axiom that 1 pound of anything in 1,000 gallons of water will yield 120 ppm
Nitrite test procedure courtesy of Aquaphoenix: https://www.aquaphoenixsci.com/resources/procedures/?fileid=7368
Test Species Conversion:
What we add / what we test = conversion factor
Key Points From This Episode:
- Rising Tide Mastermind [0:00:35]
- Journaling [0:04:24]
- Rules Of Thumb [0:08:38]
- Calculating The System Volume [0:10:06]
- Calculation For Pipe [0:12:32]
- Compounded Addition [0:15:45]
- Nitrite Test & Sodium Nitrite Test Procedure [0:23:11]
- Get A Copy Of 5 Minutes Journal [0:32:55]
- And A Lot More!
“Setting goals is the first step into turning the invisible into the visible.” @TonyRobbins @traceblackmore #Masterminds #MastermindGroup #RisingTide #CWT #IWC #AWT #scalingupnation #scalinguppodcast #scalinguph2o #scalingupandbeyond #traceblackmore #systemvolume #PinksandBlues #TitrationDropManipulation #VolumeCalculation
“If you can figure out your losses and what was getting in your way, you can quickly turn those into wins.” @traceblackmore #Masterminds #MastermindGroup #RisingTide #CWT #IWC #AWT #scalingupnation #scalinguppodcast #scalinguph2o #scalingupandbeyond #traceblackmore #systemvolume #PinksandBlues #TitrationDropManipulation #VolumeCalculation
Links Mentioned On This Episode: